Workshops, Training and Professional Development
Who uses Liberty Speech Pathology workshops and training sessions?
- Primary Schools
- High Schools
- Child Care Settings
- Parent’s groups
- Council run Family Connections groups
- Other organisations that work with children or parents
What Workshops/Seminars are available?
Key Word Signing for children with communication difficulties – 4 – 5 hours
- What, why, who & how of key word signing
- Practical activities: learning 150 Auslan signs
Children’s Speech and Language Development – What to expect – 1 hour
- What normal development looks like
- Signs to look for that suggest that there might be a problem with speech or language
Fostering Speech and Language Skills in Young Children – 2 hours
- Practical activities that you can use at home, kindy or child care centre to maximise opportunities for speech and language development.
Communication for Children who are late talkers – 2 hours
- Reducing your toddler or preschooler’s frustration
- Creating motivation for children to communicate
- Creating opportunities for children to communicate
- Working with symbols and signs to help children to communicate
Helping your baby to communicate – 2 hours
- Reduce frustration for your bubs under 2
- Baby signing (you will learn 20 signs)
- Effective modelling of language
- Creating opportunities for your baby to communicate
Early Reading Skills – 2-3 hours
- Pre-literacy skills: the skills children need before they can learn to read
- How to make the most of reading picture books to your child
- Practical activities for home, kindy or child care centre to foster early reading skills
Phonological Awareness: The Building Blocks for Literacy Success – 2 hours
- The underlying skills that are critical for literacy success
- Working with children who struggle with literacy – from theory to practice
Stuttering in the School-Aged child – 1-2 hours
- Facts & Fiction about stuttering
- Strategies for teachers
Improving Language Skills in the Classroom (time dependant on school needs). Content depends on individual school needs and may include:
- Strategies to help children with Language Disorders
- Strategies that will help your whole class improve their language skills
- Effective Questioning
- Word-retrieval strategies
- Visual aids in the classroom
- Strategies for children with receptive language difficulties
- Other areas of language delay or disorder relevant to your individual students
Auditory Processing Disorder – 1 hour
- What is Auditory Processing Disorder?
- What are some warning signs that a student may have Auditory Processing Disorder?
- Strategies for the classroom to maximise students’ learning
Speech and Language Disorders in the Classroom – 2 hours
- What is a speech disorder?
- What is a language disorder?
- How do speech and language disorders affect learning?
- Strategies for teachers to use in the classroom.
Voice Care for teachers – 1 hour
- How the voice works
- Causes of voice problems
- How to care for your voice
Understanding your child/student’s personality – 2 hours
- A look at the four temperaments: sanguine, melancholic, choleric and phlegmatic
- How to recognise your child’s personality type and know their natural strengths and weaknesses
- How to maximise your child’s strengths and help them work on weaknesses
- How to recognise personality types in your students to maximise success in your classroom
Other workshops relating to speech, language, fluency or literacy can be tailored to your school’s or centre’s needs – just ask!
How do I book a workshop/seminar?
Phone Liberty Speech Pathology on 7226 3903 to make a booking or discuss your centre’s training needs. If you are a parent interested in attending one of these workshops, please contact us to discuss.